Monday, February 2, 2015

Of imagination… and fantasy…and reality…

Imagination is a wonderful thing, I suppose. For it allows us to build things in our minds, out of absolutely nothing. Imagination leads to fantasy, another wonderful thing, I suppose. Of the things that could be, of the way we could be… it climbs over limitations, hops over adversities, ignores problems…and… reality (?).

I suppose, imagination and fantasy are wonderful, so long as they are grounded in reality. But again, would such grounding be limiting? Can imagination soar over far sweeping horizons, if heavy shackles of reality pull it down?
And where does creativity figure in this discussion? All deep, profound thoughts. But you will never believe why this discussion first popped into my head.

We chose a classic, Jane Eyre for our book club. A friend’s email said, “…Can't wait to dissect the yummy Mr. Rochester with all of you, I have added him to my list of 19th century hotties”. No we’re not a bunch of bored moms, just very witty individuals. Hmm…That’s the story and we’re sticking to it.
My witty friend’s words cracked me up. Interestingly, I had been thinking on similar lines – yes, of course, of the “yummy Mr. Rochester”, but of these 19th century writers who were single women (I really don’t like the word, ‘spinster’), creating these delicious, enigmatic and mysterious men, in the midst of their embroidery and Victorian etiquette.

I read recently, of how Jane Austen would put her writing material away, as soon as she heard a certain door creak, and pick up her embroidery – a more ‘suitable’ representation of herself and the reality of the century – to receive guests.
And writing in secret, in the midst of the embroidery, she created Mr. Darcy. Sigh… enough said.

The Bronte sisters, also single, living in somewhat hardship, with personal sickness, and sickness and deaths in the family, wove beautiful prose, developed passionate characters and created mysterious men. I had read a little about their lives, and this time as I read Jane Eyre, I appreciated their ability to create worlds with remarkable narratives and characters and of course, give us the likes of Mr. Rochester and Heathcliff, despite their reality and situation.
Now tell me, had these women been married, with a bunch of kids, would such enigmatic and passionate characters have emerged from their minds?  Or is motherhood pretty much the end to all mystery, other than the sticky something on the carpet? But I digress…

The imagination and fantasy exists in our mind. So how do we not lose its magic and continue to access it? How do we remain aware and enjoy it, without leading to yearnings of sorts (and no I’m not referring to the Mr. Darcys and Rocheters, even).
How do we see ourselves - in our mind, in our imagination; how do we see ourselves in our reality, our reality of existence? How do we go back and forth?

Are we only who we are in the reality of today? Maybe we see ourselves that way. Purposeful and focused, setting goals, making plans… you get the drift… 
Yet, is that only who we imagine ourselves to be? Some days when I feel like a deranged person repeating the same things over and over to my family, following a certain nine-year-old – physically, or at times, mentally, ahem… even to the shower (knowing there is a book in the bathroom, that there is no sound of running water, and when I call out – a hurried whoosh of water is heard… hmm… detective mom knows it all), I doubt there is anything else to this existence. Yet, there is. And it takes some awareness and imagination to access it.  

So what I’m struggling to say that each has its own place and worth. There really is no escaping the reality – and the imagination or fantasy need not be an escape either. It is useful to see ourselves in a different light, especially when we turn into the sometimes-robots. And we really don’t need to be 19th century writers creating passionate characters, to do so either. But my friend’s list, I should definitely try and obtain…hmmm…

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment