Wednesday, September 24, 2014

How close are our dreams to reality?

Once upon a time, in a land, far far away…in a time long long ago, seated on the steps of our journalism department, a friend and I would talk about becoming travel writers and journalists (quite like Antony Bourdain – although we didn’t quite know him then). He (my friend, not Antony Bourdain) now writes computer code (or something like that – but also uncovers amazing travel locations, posts fantastic pictures and refuses to divulge the location on social media.. hrrmph). As for me, I do… whatever it is that I do…

And although it seemed like a pipe dream. I have often reflected on how easily it could have actually happened. I was the Arts and Culture coordinator for a newspaper, and had contacts with folks at Discovery Channel in New Delhi, which was opening shop and just getting started in post-globalization India. And each time we laugh it off, I can’t help but say, “hey, that could have easily happened, you know”.  
Not that I have any regrets about the matter, or wistfulness or melancholia. What I have is more a sense of wonder and even a hint of disbelief at the ease with which it could all have happened. And that the pipe-dream was more tangible than I ever imagined.

What I have, I suppose, is a sense of wonder about how clueless some of us are about our dreams being closer than we think. About how clueless we are of our capabilities, supporting circumstances, and the lack of belief in ourselves and our abilities to make it all happen.  
Why then do we dismiss it off? Does the distance between the dream and reality seem greater than it actually is? Do our situation and our limitations seem more restricting than they actually are? Is it all our warped perception or are we worried about being disappointed?

I suppose each dream or desire comes with a degree of possibility or likelihood. Degree of possibility and likelihood, based on circumstances and limitations. And also, our own perceived degree of possibility and likelihood. We must in our heart believe that it can actually happen and then allow it to happen.
There are those who are strong and forge ahead and chase their dreams. But then there are those (present company included) that hum and haw, are unaware of their own capabilities, and are generally unable to understand how tangible or intangible the dream may be.  

In the end, we may be the only ones to know which ones resonate the loudest within; which one is the likeliest. I suppose there are always those that may be well within our reach, but in our mind, we’ve decided it is a dream. And a dream, as we all know, with its inherent nature of wispiness, is intangible. How then do we know what to believe in? What to chase?
True. We don’t know that it will come true. But do we owe it to ourselves to try? And although my friend and I may smile at the idea of us travelling and writing (and actually getting paid to do that – just that! – my friend’s words), it is worth reminding ourselves that despite all limitations, there are dreams (at least some) that are within our scope.

How then do we keep our eyes open to that knowledge, our heart strong enough to believe it, and our confidence alive enough to live it?

No comments:

Post a Comment