Thursday, November 7, 2013

Letting go… of doling out life lessons

Every now and then, I dole out life lessons to my eight-year-old. Not in a rehearsed planned manner, and only if something pops up. But as you may have correctly guessed, I have been trying to figure out a thing or two myself. The process has not always been an elegant one and it seems to involve some emotional wrangling and wrestling.

Everything I tell my child, I wish I had been told when I was younger. So I consider it my duty to hand these “life lessons” out to her every now and then. And when I explain something, I try to explain it ‘well’.  Sigh… in my opinion at least. The other day, I felt as though my eight-year-old’s eyes were glazing a bit as I spoke. Alright, they were glazing quite a bit as I spoke.  

So I finally asked her. “Are these talks useful or are they frightfully boring?” With as much diplomacy as she could muster, she replied, “I like them Mom. But sometimes you go on and on for like half an hour,” she said with a tired sigh and a gleam in her eyes. We laughed it off, but I was a little disappointed.

Later I realized that my attempt to grapple with life was my struggle and my choice. These slivers of clarity I seem to be having were part of my own discovery. They may not resonate with someone else. And they may simply be “too long and boring” for my eight-year-old. 

The other thread running simultaneously here is one of guilt and motherhood, I suspect. I feel guilty for being so caught up in my own illness that I have not been able to be quite the mother I would have liked to be. I feel guilty for not having had enough energy for her. I feel guilty that she has not been able to count on me.

And I imagine this may be my effort to make up for lost time. But I wonder how much good it can do to serve life’s wisdom thus. For this may be something she may need to work out on her own. And if we’re lucky, she’ll ask for help in figuring it out or else she may choose to figure it out on her own. Yes it is going to be hard to watch her struggle. But all we can do is let her know we’re there without telling her exactly how to lead her life.

I doubt I’m ready to desist from flight on this one. Remember, how hard it is for me to let go? But I’ll take the cue when I see an eye roll and hear a “here we go again”, from a certain eight-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment