Monday, November 25, 2013

Letting go… of not completing the thought

Have you ever been in a conversation – right in the middle of saying something important, something that mattered, with words and thoughts pouring out from deep within - and you were interrupted? That thought no longer has room in the ensuing conversation and it simply dies unheard. It leaves you with an uneasy feeling – of something that remained to be said; a thought that needs to be completed. 

Well I have hundreds of unfinished written pieces – on the computer and in numerous diaries scattered around the house. Some thoughts just got started and were met with an unfortunate early demise; others wait patiently to be completed.
A thought springs in the mind with a life of its own. It has its own energy; it takes its own course. It wants to stay; it wants to say. It needs me to sustain it; it needs me to complete it.

So why do I let it fade away? If a thought matters enough that I sit down and put it down on paper. Why don’t I complete it?
It’s funny how we pay little attention to things that matter to us. There are a hundred things in the course of the day that I will diligently try to “complete”. Why then do I find it hard to stay put and complete that thought? Was it too fleeting? Was it too hard to face? Was it making me uncomfortable? Did the doorbell ring? Or was I just plain tired?

This is an attempt to honor the thought that had the courage to spring. I will try to find words to give it the life it needs to breathe, to survive and to sustain. This week shall be an assay at completing some incomplete essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment