Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Letting go… of feeling like a hypochondriac and being okay with… being a hypochondriac

Okay I’ll just say it. I am a hypochondriac. Or so it seems – each time I call the triage nurse line, or a doctor’s office, or even my dentist. The treatment I receive is familiar, as is the tone in which the nurses speak to me. On occasion, I have wanted to say to them, “I know that you know that it all works out in the end and that I’m flapping for nothing. But I don’t know that (yet); nor do I know (yet) that I’m flapping for nothing. So let me flap away and please don’t talk to me in that patronizing tone.”  

Besides I believe I may have reason to flap. For each time I play it cool, it doesn’t end well.  Like the time I played it cool and thought the rash on my abdomen was nothing. I mentioned it oh-so-casually to the nurse at the pre-surgery appointment. I saw alarm on her face and almost heard the alarm in her head. She dashed out, returned with a doctor who told me I had shingles. They told me surgery was probably postponed and hurriedly shooed me out of their hospital.
Or the time I played it cool after a colonoscopic procedure. I was in discomfort. But the doctor performing the procedure said it was just bloating and I let it go. Two days of discomfort later, I decided to try acupuncture. One look at my distended abdomen and my naturopath asked me to get x-rays and see my doctor. She suspected perforation. Guess I had played it cool again – unwisely so. And the look on the x-ray technician’s face was one I will always remember. Not only did she do multiple x-rays to confirm, but she patted me on my back, asked me to be very careful, asked if I had a ride home, if I wanted to sit down, if I needed water... I really didn’t need the radiologist’s report to confirm the perforation.

So does that mean I have a knack for flapping over the inconsequential and ignoring the important? I wish I had the opposite problem. But wait, that wouldn’t be a problem – that would be wisdom. Sigh…  
These days, I can’t even judge if it is the hypochondriac inside me rising or if the matter is truly legit. Like a few days ago, when the dentist inserted toothpick–like things between my teeth and forgot to take one out. It hurt like crazy, and I called his office only to be told by him (patronizingly) that it was normal for the gums to be sore. When I insisted there was something pokey sticking out of my gums, he finally relented (disapprovingly) and told me to come in if I liked. A long wait later, I sat in his chair, with dark goggles and an open mouth and he saw the jabbing souvenir left in my gums. “No, you’re not crazy.” (his attempt at humor??) “You would have been miserable going into the weekend like this.” The dark goggles prevented me from staring at him in disbelief and my open mouth prevented me from uttering any words of protest/confusion…whatever…

This is really not an essay of complaint about nurses, doctors and health care givers. For I consider them an absolutely wonderful breed. I have met and been under the care of the kindest, most wonderful and most compassionate doctors and nurses and I am continuously in awe of how much they give of themselves to others. They have indeed saved me many times over and it would be anything but gracious for me to whine about them. They are just doing their jobs and I feel really sorry that they have to deal with me and many such “me”s. Yikes!
All I’m trying to come to terms with is that when you’re sick, it’s okay to feel scared, or alarmed, and it’s okay to be a hypochondriac and it’s okay to be a bit of a nuisance and call with questions or concerns, and it’s okay to want to develop a thicker hide when the nurse’s tone is patronizing (the hide will thicken with time – or so we can hope), and it’s okay to call again when they do not respond to your last call. And perhaps it’s wise to not take a dismissing tone too personally, or a shake of the head too literally. If you feel sick and if you think you need to talk to an expert, then hypochondriac or not, you deserve to be heard.

Hypochondriac or not… If I am one, hopefully I will not remain one forever. In the meantime, if I am one, I hope I will figure out how to deal with being one.

No comments:

Post a Comment