Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Letting go of... forcing my values down someone else’s throat…

Yet another birthday party for our precocious now eight-year-old. As always, there was much excitement around the party. And as always, there was one thing that bothered me – gifts.
I think it an imposition for guests to get gifts and I always feel overwhelmed by the gifts at the end of the party.

I love the idea of donations to a charity instead of gifts, or even a book exchange. And for the past several years, I have suggested it to my daughter. But it is always met with resistance. “No gifts Mom! That would be terrible,” her face is crestfallen. She loves the feeling of surprise that opening a gift holds. And she just can’t imagine how a birthday can be complete without gifts.
So by now, she senses when I am about to broach the topic and her tiny antennae spring up. Even before I could present my entire case this year, her body language and then her little self doled out a flat “No”.

I sighed. But I also made my peace with it. I realized that my wanting a no-gifts birthday was part of my value system. And imposing my values on her was simply not the way to go about it.
Charitable thoughts and feelings have to come from within. And I know they will for her too when the time is right. Or maybe she will find other ways to do good in the world. But forcing her to feel a certain way was really not doing any good – to her, to me or to the world. For it is important that her values are her own - not those passed down or forced down on her.

So I simply let it go. Maybe I won’t even bring up the topic next year. Yeah right… I’m just about as stubborn as any mule could possibly be… So I’m quite sure it will come up. But I will accept her answer without any reaction, without any reservations.
 For I will know that there is plenty of time for her to figure out her values and beliefs – many of which will be stellar and sound – whether or not they involve gifts.

5 comments:

  1. There will be a time when she will say, lets do the "no gifts" note... and then one day she will say lets not even have a party.... that will happen as your princess grows into a fine young lady...
    Keep writing Ruta..... it is wonderful to read your blog...
    Sudhanshu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with your daughter. Receiving or even giving gifts is a truly unique and rewarding experience.It has nothing to do with donation. I as a kid naturally would have been upset if I was told that other kids could have gifts instead of me.The very basic thought you were planning to install in this child would have been negated.The child needs to feel she is donating not sacrificing. I usually asked the kids to donate independently after they received all the gifts if they wanted to. Yes, they invariably did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruta,
    I am totally with you on this and did this when my daughter was younger (less than 3 years old). It worked out fine for the most part. Now, I have realized that since I actually like buying gifts for some of my friends kids (out of wanting to and not cos i have to), it is not fair to deny my friends the pleasure of buying for my child or deny my child the pleasure of receiving. Agree with Aarti- encouraging the child to donate after the party is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aarti and Priya. Will remember to try that next year :)

    ReplyDelete