Monday, August 12, 2013

Letting go…of not allowing myself to feel pain and discomfort

I have spent a good chunk of the past few years in pain. Most people with chronic illness do so. Pain like this assumes a life of its own. It grows, transforms and even metamorphoses into emotions, feelings, frustrations you never knew you could hold. It seems to assume colors, shapes and even a personality of it’s own.

And as it makes a space for itself in your being, you start to react to it. Frustration, annoyance, anger, irritation, helplessness… Till (as in my case), I try to control the situation. And how have I controlled such a situation? Simply by numbing myself to it.

As I reflected over the course of my illness, I was stunned at what I had been doing. I remembered all the physical pain I used to experience at the beginning. But for the past several years, I have hardly complained of physical pain to my doctor. And I simply stare blankly at nurses and doctors when asked to rate my pain scale. 

So if the illness has worsened as I am told, where has all the pain gone? I simply don’t allow myself to feel to feel it as much – except when it catches me off-guard. Or if there is a new source of pain – even the smallest.

And though it may sound brave, I think it has been an act of cowardice. For has this bravado helped me? Quite the contrary, I think. For numbing myself to it, hasn’t made it go away. And since it can’t go away, it has simply manifested in other ways. Countless times that I’ve shouted at my child, snapped at my spouse, or completely zoned out whilst in company – truly I have been a joy to live with.

Maybe I was tired, maybe I didn’t have the strength to face it, maybe it didn’t make me feel good about myself. Whatever the reason, the realization brought me pain and for once I allowed myself to feel it.

Till I realized that I had done it to some degree all my life. Many of us do. And you don’t have to have a big chronic pain to do so. Many of us find ways to not feel the discomfort of a situation. I have often distracted myself with a frenzy of activities rather than slow down and face the discomfort. For facing it takes courage. Acceptance is hard. Annoyance is easy. And distraction is speedy.

So what is the solution then? Feel the ache, complain about it all the time? Again, I will be a true joy to be around, right?  

Perhaps the answer lies in acceptance and a certain compassion towards the pain and towards ourselves as we hold it. A certain courage to face it, no matter how uncomfortable it makes us feel.  For fighting it will not make it go away. Pretending it doesn’t exist, will not make it go away. So why not try befriending it no matter how ugly it seems or how ugly it makes us feel…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruta... nice post. Resonates with me, dealing with a so far undiagnosed wrist pain which has insidiously diminished my quality of life. No more sports, yoga, cooking and extensive typing. It isn't as overpowering as whatever is plaguing you but my point is, I continue to look for ways to fix this prob and I will never stop trying to end the pain. Find a remedy for your pain. No one should have to be a martyr in dealing with pain, or to accept/befriend it. It won't work. You can't let go of pain... unless you have serious mind control chops. Make friends with painkillers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gouri,
    No pain is trivial and I hope you feel better. And no, I would not dream of pushing away painkillers and meds. and being a "martyr" as you put it. I was simply addressing the resistance, and irritation and annoyance and lack of acceptance of the pain that makes it so much harder to deal with. I feel it has for me :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete