Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Letting go…of not choosing happiness

I got out of bed this morning achy and tired. I experience this often and find no particular joy in welcoming the day or even in being. Everything seems difficult and a drag. My body does not seem to be in a place where my mind wants to be.

But in that moment as I brush my teeth, I make a choice. I can if I wish, steer the course of my day in a happier direction, or remain withdrawn and continue feeling sorry for myself.
In response to a recent blog post, a friend said that she tries to “train the brain”. “Wake up every morning and while brushing, look to the mirror and say in your mind I am going to be happy and have a great day,” were her wise words.

I realized that I do this to some extent each day. Not in particularly as chipper and happy a manner as my friend. But I do stare at myself. In that moment, I often see everything I don’t want to see. The fears, the fatigue, the sense of overwhelm. In that early vulnerable hour, my face is incapable of masking any emotional response to pain. Everything I may be covering up stares back at me from the mirror.
In that moment I make the choice to guide my day and my disposition to sunnier directions. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I sustain it for longer. Sometimes I give up.

Yes, happiness is an effort. Not in a homework kind of way, but it is a choice. A choice we make. A choice that determines the course of our life. It comes more naturally to some and life experiences, genes and health all add to the equation. But countless stories of soldiers and others who have braved difficult odds and found happiness demonstrates that we don’t have to be born into happiness but it is something acquired by those who are committed to it.
Perhaps, what matters is that I want to make this commitment to happiness. That I want to make each day count. I hear this is a common thread of thought for persons with long illnesses. People often wake up from years of illness, feel a sense of loss for the time they have lost and want to make each day count.

Perhaps this is exactly so for me. And I know it is not going to be easy. But it is an effort I wish to make. And that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment